Sunday 6 May 2007

Running With Wings

This was my first longish run since The London Marathon. I was looking forward to getting out, putting some good tunes on and seeing how my legs have recovered.
Where I live I have no choice but to run hills. This medium size village sits atop one. So even if I start on a downhill I will have to run up to get home. Same goes for running up the hill, home is up. But, part of the run is flat and that is where cruise control sets in.
Today temps were in the high 50s and a cloud cover when I got out shortly after 9am. I headed up the mile long hill to catch some of the sites out over the valley. My legs were feeling strong, not many out even at this time on a Saturday.
Breathing was excellent and I seemed to find a bit of spring in the step as I greeted the lambs in the fields close still to their moms. The horses weren't yet out, but the cattle were still in repose in the upper fields. Then it's the downhill bit to the more congested footpaths of the shops. I shortcut behind them to avoid traffic and then Heather Small kicks in on my iPod. PROUD sends shivers and chills to my soul/my spirit and I begin to relive London two weeks earlier.
I see the red laces in my shoes, I hear her voice again as it played while I was awaiting my start in the blue area. I smile outwardly and something inside soars. My feet feel lighter, my breath seems less of an effort. Another hill in front of me doesn't seem as steep as other days. I crest the hill, I hit replay and keep running to her anthem of achievement and I sing along.
This training is what today makes me proud. I feel my soul ascending, I step out of me, I realize that I am doing things that I never ever imagined. Where has it come from? A desire to be more than I ever imagined? A goal realized? I don't know, but I today I run as if I have wings on my feet. I am a streak, a flash, a ribbon of energy. I am flying!

No comments: