Tuesday 22 May 2007

Evaporating

Time, that elusive thing that I wish I had more of and never seem to hold on to. I look at my last entry and realize I need to catch up. I don't want this to be a good intentions gone a stray. However, just as time evaporates so do the details of things if not written down. At least that is how my mind works, or should I say, doesn't work.


So to keep myself true to this blog and my cause I will pull back from my memory the past week's running. I'm slowly increasing my miles to reach a level of around 35 miles per week before I start serious marathon training in July. Last week my total was 17.75 miles and this week I'm finishing off at 24.28 miles.


On Thursday 10 May I had a most enjoyable almost 10k run with quite a few hills thrown in for good measure. My legs are still recovering a bit and I do feel some soreness on the uphills in my thighs, but with lots of stretching I'm working them out.


Saturday 12 May was great to get out early and find the quiet of running down some of the back roads a change from the busy major roads. I can't seem to escape the busy roads as I wait to cross over after descending from the village. My breathing is good, but I find that only after 2.5 miles my legs are getting tired and my stamina is weakening. I find myself walking for a minute or two and collect my thoughts and remind my body that I am only running around 6 miles and can find the strength to pick up the pace. The feet listen and off I am again. The final run up the hill to home feels good and I actually have the same pace as Thursday for a shorter distance.


Sunday 13 May is something different. The Women's Running Network that I also belong to has organized a morning run. It's to be off road and out in the countryside. I am so looking forward to this change of scene and the group run. Just about all of my running is solo so having the opportunity to run with others is a nice change. The run originates in the small village of Scorton and takes in some country roads as well as public footpaths through the fields. There are about 15 of us with various skill levels. We run in the shade of a river bed, out in open farmer's fields making sure the livestock keep well away. I'm loving wearing my trail shoes again. It's been too long since they got mucked up! The distance is about 5.5 miles and we finish it off with a downhill to the village and gather in the local tea shop for a morning pickup.
Looking over the week it was an enjoyable mix of running places, surfaces and time of day. My body is still reminding me to not over do, to keep slowly bringing the miles up but take those rest days as needed. I do plan rest into my weeks to give these sometimes over used muscles a bit of recovery time.
Finding the time to get the runs in each day, each week don't seem to be a problem. I am now just so used to getting out there and enjoying myself. It's the writing the experiences down that seems to elude me. Therefore, my next blog will be the catch up of another week. I don't want the memories to evaporate any further.

No comments: