Monday 9 July 2007

Preston 10K Race Report

The race was in the City of Preston and was a full morning of races. It startd with a "fun run" of 2k distance, then the longer race of 10K followed by the 5K.

The 10K started promptly at 10am with a field of 714 finishers. It was an overcast but cool morning with temps around 56F. Perfect running condtions. Four of my co-members of the Women's Running Network were there and we exchanged well wishes as we gathered in the start area. I positioned myself near the right side of the pack and after a stumble like start we thinned out as we quickly moved along the streets.
My Garmin was a great help as it showed me that I was going too fast starting out and needed to slow a bit. I wanted to conserve a bit of energy as I approached the later miles. I wore my Bosco's Buddies shirt and my orange Asics DS Racers, they always make me feel like I can run faster in those, and for some odd reason I usually do.
Once we finished the loop and a half through the city centre the entrance to the riverside park was a very nice change of scenery. Long straight tree-lined stretches were where I was able to test the stamina and endurance from my speed sessions. I was pleased to see that I was able to pass several women and was determined to stay ahead of them.
The exit from the park was the uphill that felt so great to run down, now causing strain to my legs. Once clearing that obsticle it was back to the city streets and a half mile to go. I could see three women ahead of me that were slowing and with my added push I was determined to catch and pass them. On the final downhill I ticked two off my list and with my sights set on claiming the third one I kept my focus on the slight uphill before me. She decided to walk to ease her exhertion so with my running push I passed her on the incline. That was job done, now it was to keep an eye on my time and claim that personal best that waited at the finish line beyond the last turn and the straight ahead. I saw my husband and heard him shout words of encouragement as he could see I was running a PB time. Now the clock took focus ahead of me and as it counted ever so close to the next minute I surged forward and sprinted to the end. Elated I set a new record of 1:10:50 a very nice 1:08 faster than my previous time for the 10K distance back in 2005. I am very pleased encouraged by my speed sessions that I believe had an effect on my stamina for this race.

No comments: