Sunday 30 March 2008

One more bowl of soup!


It's been 16 weeks since I started on my road to London. I've now completed over 440 training miles, gone through 2 pairs of shoes, consumed gallons of sports drink and gels, run a half marathon, injured my hamstring, had massages, gone through physio treatment and made new friends.

All of the above has been done so in just 2 weeks I can hopefully run my fastest marathon to date. I've been able to stick with my training program for the most part. The hamstring injury put me back some miles, but I've pushed myself to keep to form.

Now I have printed up my race pace braclet, prepared a playlist on my iPod, purchased and broken in my Nike Structure Triax +11. Monday, 31 March begins my taper. I have just one marathon pace run of double digits. The rest of the runs will keep my weekly total to about 40 miles. The hard work has been done and now it's keeping the legs and lungs ready for the 13 April.

One of the differences with this training is I had a running buddy for my long runs. Kelly is my IT instructor and got a place for London in the ballot. This is her first marathon and she asked if she could run with me. It has made the Saturday hours on the road a lot better. This past Saturday we ran a 10 mile route that will be the last double digit long run. We have gotten to know each other better through the hours on the road, and over a bowl of homemade soup for our after run meal. Just one more long run awaits. One more bowl of soup.

No comments: